Manager, US Payroll
Day in the Life:
This position is to oversee the tax and operational process for the management and execution of HBC’s US payroll function for all HBCx US banners (~8,000 Hourly staff,~2,000 salaried staff, including Executive payroll). The position will be responsible for the design, maintenance, and enforcement of policies related to US payroll, including financial controls and reporting. The incumbent will be responsible for the efficient and accurate tax processing of all US payrolls (hourly/salaried) and coordinate/oversee the work of the US payroll teams both in the USA and HBC India.
The position will provide subject matter expertise and oversight of payroll processes and procedures including payroll taxes, garnishment, and wage distribution for payroll payments for US payrolls. The incumbent will be expected to have broad expertise across all aspects of US payroll including taxation, payroll legislation, and associate payroll matters (e.g. Garnishments). This position will also design strategies for continuous improvement in payroll processes and collaborate with cross-functional teams (Human Resources, Compensation, Benefits, Accounting, Taxation, and Legal) on company initiatives that impact payroll. The incumbent will also be the system owner for the US payroll components of the payroll systems, including responsibility for the set-up and maintenance of pay elements and payroll processing required to maintain compliance with changing regulations. This position will also be responsible for managing overall payroll tax compliance for all HBCx US banners.
The Salary Range for this position is: $95,000 - $105,000
What You Will Do:
● Act as tax process owner for US payroll including taxation, payroll legislation, and some associate payroll matters (e.g. Garnishments)
● Serve as subject matter expert in US payroll, including payroll tax and reporting, providing payroll input/counsel to all initiatives with a payroll impact to ensure compliance with legislation and to maintain efficient and accurate payroll operations
● Provide assistance to Human Resources and other functional areas in regard to payroll for changes in legislation and projects (e.g. RIFs) as well as systems/technology changes to adapt to changing regulations for US payroll
● Work with the US and offshore payroll processing teams to ensure accurate and timely payroll processing and reporting, in compliance with all regulatory guidance in support of US payroll. This includes ensuring compliance with applicable tax and wage/hour laws
● Ensure associate and management inquiries related to payroll taxes are addressed and resolved in a timely manner
● Ensure resolution of employee-related issues, which include overpayment, late pay, and deductions
● Responsible for continuously improving the payroll function, and exploring opportunities for streamlining, efficiency improvement and cost reduction (covering both onshore/offshore teams)
● Assist in ensuring the accuracy of the garnishment data in ADP
● Responsible for overseeing the payroll garnishment operation and related activities
● Work with the offshore payroll processing team to ensure compliance with applicable tax and wage/hour laws for the US payrolls
● Assist in handling associate-related inquiries, which include overpayments, late payments, garnishments, and related pay
● Support internal audits and external audits for US payrolls, including any jurisdictional audits by local, state, and federal agencies
● Collaborate with cross-functional teams at a senior level (e.g. Director, VP, SVP) across payroll stakeholder groups (Human Resources, Compensation, Benefits, Legal, IT, Accounting, Taxation, etc.) on company initiatives that affect US payroll including design and implementation of new systems, policies, and processes
● System responsibility for the US payroll components of the payroll systems, including responsibility for set-up and maintenance of pay elements and payroll processing required to maintain compliance with changing regulation
● Collaborate with IT on any projects or initiatives that impact payroll applications
● Lead WorkDay Payroll implementation project
● Oversee system patches/upgrades to Payroll systems (testing and functional approval prior to upgrade)
What You Will Need:
● Bachelor's Degree in Business, Finance, Tax, or a related field
● Professional Payroll Designation Preferred (e.g. CPP)
● Minimum 5 years of US payroll experience with demonstration of a good knowledge of payroll mechanics, year-end processes, payroll tax filings, and functional reporting across all aspects of US payroll
● A minimum of 5 years of management experience with a multi-jurisdictional payroll having multiple FEINs (10,000 employees)
● Experience with ADP Stand Alone Tax and Garnishment Services is preferred. Oracle EBS and/or WorkDay Payroll experience a plus
● Strong analytical skills, combined with the desire to evaluate and identify opportunities to streamline existing processes
● Ability to develop strong cross-functional relationships and partnerships to meet business objectives and able to stay flexible working in a dynamic company
● Ability to prioritize and meet rigorous timelines, while maintaining processes and excellent attention to detail
● Exceptional communication skills, both oral and written
What You Can Expect:
● A fast-moving environment where you will embrace change to ensure the company is competitive and future-forward
● A People-Focused Culture of belonging where Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are embedded in everything we do
● An opportunity to work with highly supportive teams to help you build the career you want
● A Competitive benefits package including Flexible paid time off, medical, dental, vision, 401(k), and more
● Work in our Downtown NYC headquarters, located at the highly activated Brookfield Place, with direct access to amenities such as an in-office subsidized café, wellness programs, and many food options
● An amazing Associate discount of up to 40% off of top brands at all of our retail locations
HBC is a holding company of investments and businesses at the intersection of technology, retail operations, and real estate. It is the majority owner of iconic e-commerce companies: Saks, a leading online destination for luxury fashion; The Bay, a Canadian e-commerce marketplace; and Saks OFF 5TH, a premier luxury off-price e-commerce company offering top brands at the best prices. These businesses were established as separate operating companies in 2021. HBC also wholly owns Hudson’s Bay, the operating company for Hudson’s Bay’s brick-and-mortar stores, as well as SFA, the entity that operates Saks Fifth Avenue’s physical locations, and O5, the operating company for Saks OFF 5TH stores.
With assets spanning top markets and prime locations across North America, HBC owns or controls—either entirely or with joint venture partners—approximately 40 million square feet of gross leasable area. HBC Properties and Investments, the company’s real estate and investments portfolio business, manages these assets along with additional real estate offerings, including Streetworks Development, its property development division.
Founded in 1670, HBC is North America’s longest continually operating company and is headquartered in New York and Toronto. For more information visit: www.hbc.com.
NOTE: Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
HBC welcomes all applicants for this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest In HBC. We look forward to reviewing your application.
HBC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, HBC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
HBC welcomes all applicants for this position. Should you be individually selected to participate in an assessment or selection process, accommodations are available upon request in relation to the materials or processes to be used.