Senior Tax Analyst, Indirect Tax
Day In The Life:
Reporting to the Sr. Manager, Commodity Tax the Senior Tax Analyst will support the day-to-day operations of the Indirect Tax function. You will assist in tax compliance, tax audits, special projects and provide expert advice to business units to manage the Indirect Tax function within the organization effectively. The successful candidate must possess excellent analytical and interpersonal skills to work independently and with the tax team in a complex environment with a confident, hands-on approach.
What You Will Do:
- Oversee monthly GST/HST, QST, and PST returns preparation and month-end closing activities.
- Perform product taxability review, data analysis, and system testing.
- Support continuous process improvements and maintenance of internal controls along with documentation for indirect tax functions.
- Assist with research and ad-hoc projects.
- Collaborate with other business units to address indirect tax queries.
- Identify tax legislative and administrative changes that may impact business activities and procedures.
- Prepare responses to Federal and Provincial sales tax audit queries.
What You Will Need:
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Outstanding accounting, analytical, and problem-solving skills with attention to detail
- A team player who is organized and works well under pressure
- Flexible, resilient, and able to thrive in a dynamic, rapid-paced environment
- Deep personal accountability for the work assigned, with a passion for excellence
- Strong business acumen with the ability to quickly assess a new environment and develop solutions that support the business strategy
- Creative with a strategic mindset along with the ability to turn concepts into action
- University or College degree in Finance-related discipline preferred
- 2+ years of relevant experience in Canadian Indirect Tax
- Excellent IT skills/aptitude, including excel/access to formulate reports for Indirect Tax analytics
- Hands-on experience working with MS Power Query, MS Power BI, or SQL would be an asset
What You Can Expect:
- A fast-moving environment where you will embrace change to ensure the company is competitive and future forward
- A People-first culture where Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are celebrated and promoted at every step of the way
- An opportunity to work with highly supportive teams to help you build the career you want
- A Competitive benefits package including Flexible paid time off, medical, dental, vision, retirement savings and more
- An agile hybrid work environment that facilitates agility and collaboration.
- An amazing Associate discount of up to 40% off of top brands at all of our retail locations
HBC is a holding company of investments and businesses at the intersection of technology, retail operations and real estate. It is the majority owner of iconic ecommerce companies: Saks, a leading online destination for luxury fashion; The Bay, a Canadian ecommerce marketplace; and Saks OFF 5TH, a premier luxury off-price ecommerce company offering top brands at the best prices. These businesses were established as separate operating companies in 2021. HBC also wholly owns Hudson’s Bay, the operating company for Hudson’s Bay’s brick-and-mortar stores, as well as SFA, the entity that operates Saks Fifth Avenue’s physical locations, and O5, the operating company for Saks OFF 5TH stores.
With assets spanning top markets and prime locations across North America, HBC owns or controls—either entirely or with joint venture partners—approximately 40 million square feet of gross leasable area. HBC Properties and Investments, the company’s real estate and investments portfolio business, manages these assets along with additional real estate offerings, including Streetworks Development, its property development division.
Founded in 1670, HBC is North America’s longest continually operating company and is headquartered in New York and Toronto. For more information visit: www.hbc.com.
Interested in Social Media?
NOTE: Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Thank you for your interest with HBC. We look forward to reviewing your application.
HBC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, HBC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
HBC welcomes all applicants for this position. Should you be individually selected to participate in an assessment or selection process, accommodations are available upon request in relation to the materials or processes to be used.