Manager, Merchandise Accounting
Day In The Life:
The Manager, Merchandise Accounting analyzes and reports on the Company’s Merchandise Payables. This includes oversight of licensee, consignment, 3-way match and other payables accounting processes. The incumbent will also be responsible for fostering accountability and commitment through training, coaching, and mentoring staff and managing the month, quarter, and yearly closings related to area of responsibility.
What You Will Do:
- Provide support to the external and internal audit teams for the annual and quarterly audits
- Manage the month, quarter, and year-end close across all banners for area of responsibility
- Prepare monthly balance sheet variance analysis providing commentary as well as analysis of variances to actual results
- Review and approve balance sheet reconciliations and journal entries for areas of responsibility
- Provide ad-hoc support to the business at all levels for their accounting and analytics needs
- Implement procedures to streamline workflow between departments, work closely with department heads to ensure deadlines are met and business requirements satisfied
- Works closely with the accounts payable department to ensure all reporting requirements are met
- Works with business partners and within the finance function to ensure compliance with internal controls, Company policy, and accounting standards
- Assist with financial system implementation/upgrades
- Ensure the accuracy and integrity of financial information for area of responsibility and conformity with Company standards
- Provide coaching and direction to team members as it relates to but not limited to performance management and talent development
What You Will Need:
- University Degree in Business or Accounting
- Minimum 4-6 years of people management experience
- Exposure to audits (experience in internal audit, working with external auditors, identifying process and control improvements etc.)
- Lead through Results – You often go above and beyond your goals, you are a consistent top performer and elevate the performance of others
- Influence – You can gain ground without damaging relationships and are able to influence without direct authority
- Customer Focus – You put the needs of your internal customers first and manage relationships with all key internal stakeholders
- Build Teams – You bring others together when needed, build moral and spirit in the team, share wins and successes, encourage or contribute to open dialogue and empower others to own their work
What You Can Expect:
- A People-first culture where One Team spirit and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are celebrated and promoted at every step of the way
- An opportunity to work with highly supportive teams to help you build the career you want and leave your Stripe at The Bay
- A competitive benefits package including unlimited paid vacation, medical, dental, vision, parental leave top up coverages, retirement savings and more
- A ways of Working Program that enables you to work where you are most effective
- A living Well Program that provides a variety of offerings and resources to enhance your physical, mental, and financial wellness, including corporate gym membership rates.
- An amazing associate discount of up to 40% off top brands
HBC is a holding company of investments and businesses at the intersection of technology, retail operations and real estate.
It is the majority owner of iconic ecommerce companies: Saks, a leading online destination for luxury fashion, and Saks OFF 5TH, a premier luxury off-price ecommerce company offering top brands at the best prices. Both businesses were established as separate operating companies in 2021. HBC also wholly owns Hudson’s Bay, Canada’s preeminent multi-category retailer, as well as SFA, the entity that operates Saks Fifth Avenue’s physical locations, and O5, the operating company for Saks OFF 5TH stores.7
With assets spanning top markets and prime locations across North America, HBC owns or controls — either entirely or with joint venture partners — approximately 40 million square feet of gross leasable area. HBC Properties and Investments, the company’s real estate and investments portfolio business, manages these assets along with additional real estate offerings, including Streetworks Development, its property development division.
Founded in 1670, HBC is North America’s longest continually operating company and is headquartered in New York and Toronto.
Interested in Social Media?
NOTE: Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
The Bay welcomes all applicants for this position; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest with HBC. We look forward to reviewing your application.
HBC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, HBC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
HBC welcomes all applicants for this position. Should you be individually selected to participate in an assessment or selection process, accommodations are available upon request in relation to the materials or processes to be used.