The Bay - Buyer, Men's & Women's Active
What This Position is All About:
The Buyer is responsible for developing and executing merchandise strategies to deliver sales and gross margin goals through focused merchandise assortments, marketing and pricing strategies, and merchandise management. This position ensures merchandise is purchased to maximize results while enhancing the overall department and company strategy. This position works closely with the management team and merchandise planning teams to significantly improve the profitability and maximize shareholder value.
- You get things done by engaging in high level teamwork and flexing your interpersonal skills
- You are a respected and proven thought leader with a quantifiable track record of success in delivering results within a large complex organization.
- A natural problem-solver, who is also intuitively analytical and creative
You Also Have:
- Must have 3-5 years of experience in a buying capacity, overseeing both the creative and financial aspects of merchandising
- BFA or BA in Fashion Merchandising, Business, or related field preferred
- Strong negotiation and problem solving skills
As The Buyer, Men's & Women's Active, you will:
- Execute vendor selection, develops strong vendor relationships, monitors industry trends, evaluates competition, and attend major markets
- Executes the merchandise strategy, completes top level seasonal buys to ensure optimal productivity by style, and reacts to trends in-season
- Understand nuances of the .com business and executes appropriate merchandising strategy for differing retail channels
- Partners with Planner to develop the assortment matrix
- Works with Planning team to analyze class, vendor and replenishment assortment both at the top line level and by door
- Manages on going OTB process forecasting sales, markdowns, profit and inventory to plan. Negotiates and partners with vendors to maintain gross margin profitability
- Manages the negotiation and collection of vendor allowance and advertising co-op
- Monitors inventory productivity
- Develops and executes aged inventory exit strategies
- Executes the monthly stock ledger review, and directs the purchase journal review process
- Plans and approves all advertising, promotional strategies and marketing. Monitors style advertising effectiveness
- Partners with and supports visual team in providing in-store signage and store presentation guidance
The successful candidate should have a passion for fashion, a pulse on trends, and an understanding what customers want to buy. This role requires an individual with good negotiation skills and an ability to develop and maintain strong vendor relationships. He/she must be flexible and able to multi-task and make decisions quickly. The successful candidate will be a change agent who is flexible, resilient, and able to thrive in a dynamic, rapid paced environment. He/she will embody a culture of taking smart risks and innovating to win.
- 3-5 years’ experience in buying
- Experience with planning, forecasting and allocation
- Understand the customer and the market
- Ability to develop, plan and execute strategies
- Good negotiation skills and vendor relationships
- Effectively deal with all levels of management
University/College Degree is required, preferably in relevant discipline.