Senior Data Architect
Who We Are:
HBC is a diversified retailer focused on driving the performance of high-quality stores and their Omni-channel platforms, and unlocking the value of real estate holdings. Founded in 1670, HBC is the longest continually operating company in North America. HBC’s portfolio today includes formats ranging from luxury to premium department stores to off price fashion shopping destinations, with 239 stores and more than 22,000 employees around the world. HBC’s leading businesses across North America include Saks Fifth Avenue, Hudson’s Bay, and Saks OFF 5TH.
HBC also has significant investments in joint ventures. It has partnered with Simon Property Group Inc. in the HBS Global Properties Joint Venture, which owns properties in the United States. In Canada, it has partnered with RioCan Real Estate Investment Trust in the RioCan-HBC Joint Venture, and in Europe, it has partnered with SIGNA Retail Holdings for real estate and retail joint ventures.
A truly global corporate citizen, HBC is committed to responsible business practices to bring about positive change, and we work hard to shape a sustainable future for people and the planet. Our philanthropic initiatives help create healthy families, strong communities, and sport excellence in the cities and countries in which we operate around the world, while striving to create innovative programs and resources that provide flexibility for work-life balance in order to maintain a positive working environment
What This Position Is All About:
- The Senior Data Architect is responsible for designing, creating, deploying and managing Data Platform's data architecture for Hudson's Bay. They will be defining how the data will be stored, consumed, integrated and managed by different data entities and technology systems, as well as any applications using or processing that data in some way. This role will be closely allied with the enterprise architecture team and they will be providing a standard common business vocabulary, express strategic data requirements, outline high level integrated designs to meet these requirements, and align with the enterprise data strategy and related business architecture
Who You Are:
- Well respected and influential
- Able to emphasize methodology, modeling, and governance
- Technologically and politically neutral
- Articulate, persuasive, and a good salesperson
You Also Have:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or relevant field.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a similar role.
- Strong knowledge of database structure systems and data mining.
- Excellent organizational and analytical abilities.
- Outstanding problem solver.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- A foundation in systems development: the data architect should understand the system development life cycle; software project management approaches; and requirements, design, and test techniques. The data architect is asked to conceptualize and influence application and interface projects, and therefore must understand what advice to give and where to plug in to steer toward desirable outcomes.
- Depth in data modeling and database design: This is the core skill of the data architect, and the most requested in data architect job descriptions. The effective data architect is sound across all phases of data modeling, from conceptualization to database optimization. In his/her experience this skill extends to SQL development and perhaps database administration.
- Breadth in established and emerging data technologies: In addition to depth in established data management and reporting technologies, the data architect is either experienced or conversant in emerging tools like columnar and NoSQL databases, predictive analytics, data visualization, and unstructured data. While not necessarily deep in all of these technologies, the data architect hopefully is experienced in one or more, and must understand them sufficiently to guide the organization in understanding and adopting them.
- The ability to conceive and portray the "big picture": When the data architect initiates, evaluates, and influences projects he or she does so from the perspective of the entire organization. The data architect maps the systems and interfaces used to manage data, sets standards for data management, analyzes current state and conceives desired future state, and conceives projects needed to close the gap between current state and future goals.
Thank you for your interest with HBC. We look forward to reviewing your application.
HBC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, HBC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
HBC welcomes all applicants for this position. Should you be individually selected to participate in an assessment or selection process, accommodations are available upon request in relation to the materials or processes to be used.