Day in the Life:
We are seeking a commercial real estate attorney with 2 to 4 years of experience to join our dynamic in-house legal department to:
- Prioritize and multi-task many competing projects in a fast-paced environment
- Counsel, and strategically collaborate with, business partners
- Manage the Company's existing real estate portfolio
- Support day-to-day real estate operations
- Work collaboratively
What You Will Do:
- Draft, review, and negotiate Leases and related legal documentation such as letters, modifications, terminations, COREAs, SNDAs, and subleases for existing stores, corporate offices, subtenants and other facilities
- Draft, review, and negotiate various contracts to support business operations including but not limited to marketing and event planning
- Create and edit charts documenting critical lease provisions
- Thoughtfully review and interpret leases in order to counsel business partners in real estate, retail, construction, operations, facilities, and accounting in real estate operations
- Monitor critical lease deadlines such as termination and renewal options and collaborate with business partners to execute real estate strategy
- Assist with management and resolution of disputes with landlords including store operations and litigation
- Manage legal billing system
What You Will Need:
- Experience: 2 to 4 years as an attorney in transactional commercial real estate practice, specifically with experience in sophisticated commercial leasing.
- Candidates from firms and in-house legal departments will be considered.
- Education: J.D. with excellent law school credentials
What You Can Expect:
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- Associate discount including top brands
- Flexible work environment that allows for work-life balance
HBC is a holding company of investments and businesses at the intersection of technology, retail operations and real estate.
It is the majority owner of iconic ecommerce companies: Saks, a leading online destination for luxury fashion, and Saks OFF 5TH, a premier luxury off-price ecommerce company offering top brands at the best prices. Both businesses were established as separate operating companies in 2021. HBC also wholly owns Hudson’s Bay, Canada’s preeminent multi-category retailer, as well as SFA, the entity that operates Saks Fifth Avenue’s physical locations, and O5, the operating company for Saks OFF 5TH stores.
With assets spanning top markets and prime locations across North America, HBC owns or controls — either entirely or with joint venture partners — approximately 40 million square feet of gross leasable area. HBC Properties and Investments, the company’s real estate and investments portfolio business, manages these assets along with additional real estate offerings, including Streetworks Development, its property development division.
Founded in 1670, HBC is North America’s longest continually operating company and is headquartered in New York and Toronto.
Interested in Social Media?
Thank you for your interest with HBC. We look forward to reviewing your application.
HBC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, HBC complies with applicable state and local laws governing non discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence,compensation and training.
HBC welcomes all applicants for this position. Should you be individually selected to participate in an assessment or selection process, accommodations are available upon request in relation to the materials or processes to be used.