VP, Senior Development Attorney - Streetworks
Day in the Life:
Streetworks Development team manages the development process from inception through the delivery of each project. Team members have a penchant for complex problem solving, working fast-paced, ever-changing environments, and a passion for working with people.
The responsibilities of the VP, Senior Development Attorney include managing all legal aspects of a diverse portfolio of properties, coordinating with multiple project teams, senior executives and the corporate legal department for all phases of the development from the time of initial due diligence through stabilized occupancy. They will report to the Chief Operating Officer.
What You Will Do:
- Assist with local zoning attorney coordination to provide guidance and strategy input for entitlement of properties throughout North America including interpretation of laws, code and regulations of applicable jurisdictions
- Interpret laws, ruling and regulations for real estate transactions and provide clear explanations to senior leadership and project teams
- Draft and negotiate municipal agreements for real estate transactions
- Draft and negotiate leases for commercial, residential and all other potential tenants
- Draft and negotiate contracts for consultants and contractors for development projects
- Draft and negotiate agreements for the purchase and sale of properties
- Draft and negotiate joint venture, partnership and lender documents for development projects and portfolios
- Manage third party attorney relationships in coordination with the project teams
- Manage regulatory and compliance-related services in partnership with corporate legal team
- Partner with corporate legal department on master leases, CMBS and JV documentation
- Ensure real estate transactions are legal and binding and follows corporate governance
What You Will Need:
- Juris Doctor degree in law
- Strong experience in real estate law and industry knowledge with a minimum of 10 years of work experience in real estate development organizations
- License to practice law in the State of New York preferred
- Strong knowledge of development process including acquisition, entitlement, contracting, leasing, construction, property management, financing and disposition
- Exceptional leadership skills and a solid history of building and managing legal team necessary to support Streetworks Development’s corporate objectives
- Flexibility and adaptability working within a dynamic and ever-changing environment
- Must be a self-starter, highly motivated, goal oriented and an excellent understanding of the Real Estate Industry.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible and able to handle multiple projects and tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to travel throughout the US and Canada.
What You Can Expect:
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- Associate discount including top brands
- Flexible work environment that allows for work-life balance
HBC is a holding company of investments and businesses at the intersection of technology, retail operations and real estate.
It is the majority owner of iconic ecommerce companies: Saks, a leading online destination for luxury fashion, and Saks OFF 5TH, a premier luxury off-price ecommerce company offering top brands at the best prices. Both businesses were established as separate operating companies in 2021. HBC also wholly owns Hudson’s Bay, Canada’s preeminent multi-category retailer, as well as SFA, the entity that operates Saks Fifth Avenue’s physical locations, and O5, the operating company for Saks OFF 5TH stores.
With assets spanning top markets and prime locations across North America, HBC owns or controls — either entirely or with joint venture partners — approximately 40 million square feet of gross leasable area. HBC Properties and Investments, the company’s real estate and investments portfolio business, manages these assets along with additional real estate offerings, including Streetworks Development, its property development division.
Founded in 1670, HBC is North America’s longest continually operating company and is headquartered in New York and Toronto.
Interested in Social Media?
Thank you for your interest with HBC. We look forward to reviewing your application.
HBC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, HBC complies with applicable state and local laws governing non discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence,compensation and training.
HBC welcomes all applicants for this position. Should you be individually selected to participate in an assessment or selection process, accommodations are available upon request in relation to the materials or processes to be used.